06 May 2008

Live Macro Photography


Atypical Phidippus audax
Originally uploaded by kaiju_images

Atypical Phidippus audax
Originally uploaded by kaiju_images
Today we're looking at some macro photography I did of an atypical Phidippus audax or more commonly known as a Jumping Spider.

Found this little guy outside on my deck last night. I don't mind spiders, but my wife insist that they bite her in the middle of the night. so this guy got lucky and I was one that found him and not her.

Anyhow, this guy was only about 3/8" of inch long. I decided that this would be a good opportunity to try out my macro lens.

The settings for my camera were 260mm Macro f/5.6@1/180 ISO200. The sun was setting and I had some good lighting left.

Lesson #1-Use a tripod. It was very difficult to hand hold my camera at the correct distance to get everything in focus. Using a tripod would have made this slightly easier. The only problem would have been the lack of cooperation from the subject.

Lesson #2-Use you manual focus. I attempted to have the camera focus for me, but in macro mode it had trouble focusing. i ended up just using the manual focus.

Lesson #3-Check your f stop. I used f/5.6 to give myself some leeway with my light. This also allowed me to hand hold the camera. I needed to use a little bit higher f stop. I forgot that when you use a macro lens you have to use a slower f stop to get a good depth of field. I'm going to have to do some test and figure out what my exact distance is in macro mode with different f stops.

All in all I like working with the little guys. It's a challenge and they make some go photos when you do it correctly.

No comments: